Re: [Hampshire] Strange overflow messages when backing up

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Strange overflow messages when backing up
On Monday 05 November 2007 09:38, john lewis wrote:
> As you have seen aptitude will try to do more than just installing
> rsync,  "apt-get install rsync" would have done just that and nothing
> more. Aptitude on the other hand knows there are problems with
> another package and will try to resolve it. it would have installed
> rsync (and upgraded Iceweasel) if you had said _yes_ to the first of
> the above *****questions****** but because you rejected the offered
> solutions aptitude aborted.

It didn't, unfortunately. I have said yes and run it loads of times.* I only
said no to try to get out of the eternal circle. In the end I had to choose
q to get out. But rsync is still not installed and the problems with that
wretched Iceweasel dependency are not resolved. I have tried every option it
offers me (y several times) except manual, because I haven't got a clue what
to do manually. Perhaps I ought simply to install and update in future with
apt-get? I have tried to purge and remove (separately, not simultaneously)
both ice-weasel and Firefox. I have also tried to remove the iceweasel-gnome
package it keeps complaining about. I just get the same error messages. As
I do if I try to update, then upgrade.

I am a total loss and will probably end up in frustration installing PCLinuxOS
in the middle of the night because this problem strikes me as completely
intractable. :-(

Lisi

*I'll resend the y part of my first interminable screed (stars inserted by
me):

Tux:/home/lisi# aptitude install rsync
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages are BROKEN:
iceweasel-gnome-support
acroread-debian-files iceweasel realplayer
rsync
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 451kB will be used.
iceweasel-gnome-support: Depends: iceweasel (= 2.0.0.6+2.0.0.8-0etch1) but
2.0
.0.6-0etch1 is installed and it is kept back.
Resolving dependencies...
E: I wasn't able to locate file for the acroread-debian-files package. This
migh
t mean you need to manually fix this package.

Upgrade the following packages:
iceweasel [2.0.0.6-0etch1 (now) -> 2.0.0.6+2.0.0.8-0etch1 (stable)]

Score is 0

**Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] y**
acroread-debian-files realplayer
rsync
iceweasel
1 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 254kB will be freed.
**Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y**
Writing extended state information... Error!
E: I wasn't able to locate file for the acroread-debian-files package. This
migh
t mean you need to manually fix this package.
E: Couldn't lock list directory..are you root?
Tux:/home/lisi#