Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Amiga demos

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Amiga demos
** m.nuttall@??? <m.nuttall@???> [2007-11-05 17:47]:
> Quoting Paul Tansom <paul@???>:
> > ** Steve Kirk <steve@???> [2007-11-04 19:01]:
> > >
> > > There's no arguably about it. It IS an absolute classic in every sense.
> > >
> > > A lot of old Amiga stuff still gets bought and sold on eBay too.
> > >
> > > I ditched my A500 back in the early 90's to buy a 486sx25 with DOS 6.2
> > > (which I still have!) and still regret it to a certain extent.
> > > I've currently still got an Amiga A600, with a mighty 2MB ram and an
> > > 880MB hard disk from an old laptop! Works a treat. If you're ever
> > > chucking out Amiga stuff, I might be interested! :-)
> > >
> > > And I'd certainly be interested in tracking down a PCMCIA network card
> > > for the A600. I'm pretty sure I've seen them on eBay.
> > ** end quote [Steve Kirk]
> >
> > The ones advertised in eBay as Amiga PCMCIA network cards are generally
> > standard cards with an Amiga logo stuck over the card. If you take a
> > look at Aminet [1] you'll find a couple of drivers for PCMCIA cards[2].
> > One for 3com cards [3] and another ne2000(cnet) one [4]. You just need
> > to take a look at the compatibility list and find an old card that
> > matches. I've got an old Netgear FA410TX, but haven't yet had the time
> > to get it up and running.
> >
> > Both my A600 and A1200 are lacking and HD and bracket (although the A600
> > was an HD verion originally). I have the parts, I just need to fit them.
> > The A1200 FD is possibly faulty (although when I investigated it had the
> > metal cover from a floppy jammed in it, so it may work now) and the A600
> > lacks a FD. I also need to install my 3.1 ROMs in the A1200 so I can in
> > stall OS 3.9 on the HD. All I need is the time!
> >
> > Oh, and if you want some real fun you can pick up an old Prism based
> > 11Mbps NIC and go wireless [5]! Oh, and interestingly the Cnet driver
> > was updated in August this year!
>
> If you want o make sure the pcmcia network card works you could get a tested
> with an amiga NIC from amigakit.com. Also supports amiga dealers as well :)

I'd forgotten them. By the looks of thier card it is a badged USR card.
I don't think anyone else used X-Jack, although I could be wrong. It was
a good idea, and saved the use of a custom dongle/cable thing, but when
I used them back in the mid 90s on IBM Thinkpads they were none too
robust.

> I have a zorro NIC in my a4000 connnected to my modem/router.

Yes, I have two of those. One is an Ariadne (can't remember whether it
is a I or II) with an RJ45. The other, sadly, is an Ameristar badged
A2065 which only has a BNC connector. I'll have to get my old DLink hub
back of my parents to use that as it has a BNC connector on it, which
will save messing around with an old NIC in a PC, even if I can find a
PCI card with a BNC connection, or an old box with an ISA slot (actually
I probably do have one or more of those!).
** end quote [m.nuttall@???]

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: