Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Amiga demos

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Amiga demos
** m.nuttall@??? <m.nuttall@???> [2007-11-06 01:52]:
> Quoting Paul Tansom <paul@???>:
> > ** m.nuttall@??? <m.nuttall@???> [2007-11-05 17:47]:
> > > I have a zorro NIC in my a4000 connnected to my modem/router.
> >
> > Yes, I have two of those. One is an Ariadne (can't remember whether it
> > is a I or II) with an RJ45.
>
> nice they would of cost alot when they came out

Not sure, I got mine second hand. For an Amiga card it wasn't a bad
price, but compared to a PCI card it was pretty expensive! I sometimes
wonder about the adapters that allow you to use PCI cards in an Amiga.
That would make getting a graphics card and network card a lot cheaper
and easier. They aren't cheap either though!

> > The other, sadly, is an Ameristar badged
> > A2065 which only has a BNC connector.
>
> Got a individual computers x-surf 2 NIC its got alot of other stuff on it like
> 2 ide headers (buddha) and a 1200 clockport as well.

They do some nice peripherals, and they are still going which is quite
impressive. They also do a USB card iirc.

> > I'll have to get my old DLink hub
> > back of my parents to use that as it has a BNC connector on it, which
> > will save messing around with an old NIC in a PC, even if I can find a
> > PCI card with a BNC connection, or an old box with an ISA slot (actually
> > I probably do have one or more of those!).
>
> Jamies must have some nics that are bnc, at the recycling place i used to work
> we had a fair amount of pci nics with bnc connector on them.

No doubt, and I know I have a selection of ISA ones (my trusty DLink 220
cards), but not 100% sure about PCI ones. The hub is a cleaner solution
though since I won't have to configure an extra network or routing on a
machine. Not a major hassle with a Linux PC based router, but I'm not
configured like that at the momenti[1]. I have a replacement ADSL router
for my parent that has a built in hub so that will save them a power
point when I get it setup for them (I've got it on my network at the
moment!!) and free up my old hub.
** end quote [m.nuttall@???]

Just to slide things back on topic a bit, ever tried 68000 Linux on an
Amiga?

If you look an Aminet there's also a driver that will make use of an ISA
NIC connected via a bridgeboard. I've wondered a few times whether I
could get this sort of setup running with Linux on the PC side of a
bridgeboard. Unfortunately my two bridgeboards are both pre-386, so no
use for Linux. Ones and 086 and the other a 286 iirc, but like with a
lot of my retro kit, it is sitting in a box waiting for me to have the
time to play. Time is in seriously short suppy at the moment :(

[1] Currently have a WAP/ADSL router connected to a WAP/router the ADSL
is not NAT where the other one is. The ADSL one shouldn't really be a
WAP (or the other way round), but that was all I had handy at the time!
Shortly I'll have another WAP/ADSL unit to connect outside the
WAP/router as I now have a second ADSL line to work with. I really need
to map this out and work out how best to make use of the two
connections! All I need is the time to dig my way through my boxes and
computer bits to get to the telephone point and connect my new Sky
WAP/ADSL router up!! That may be another thread once I've had time to
think about things.

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: