Re: [Hampshire] Talks?

Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Talks?
On Wednesday 07 Nov 2007, Paul Tansom wrote:
> ** Alan Pope <alan@???> [2007-11-07 16:22]:
> > Hi Adam,
> > >
> > > Should I bring my Devolo HomePlug AV units in to show? There isn't much
> > > to see really but last time someone was disappointed in me mentioning
> > > them but not actually having them with me.
> >
> > I have a couple of of dLAN 200 AVs I could bring along also if you
> > wanted to do a demo.
>
> ** end quote [Alan Pope]
>
> Does anyone know if the Addon units are any good? Specifically the
> HP0850 85Mbps units. They seem exceptionally cheap compared to some of
> the other units I've seen.

There are several standards, beware:

15Mbps    HomePlug    original standard
85Mbps    HomePlug Turbo    proprietary "standard" can talk to 15Mbps units
200Mbps    HomePlug AV    newer standard can coexist but not talk to others
200Mbps DS2 Opera    newer standard can coexist but not talk to others

There are two standard bodies for the 200Mbps technology and even though
HomePlug Av is from the same people as the original HomePlug they don't
interoperate. The Turbo version isn't a formal standard but it widley
deployed and does interoperate with the original HomePlug Standard.

Most early kit is HomePlug or HomePlug Turbo and is compatible across
manufactures. The 200Mbps standards don't talk with each other or to the
older standard units which is a pain if you want to mix and match.

Prices are falling all the time, Solwise do 85Mbps Turbo units from £26 and
200Mbps AV units from £50 each. The only think putting me off the slower unit
was that they are not forwardly compatible, and as the price falls it seemed
easier to get the faster unit.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Yes, I'm bitter and cynical. That does not make me wrong.
    -- anon