Re: [Hampshire] Talks?

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Talks?
** Adam Trickett <adam.trickett@???> [2007-11-07 20:49]:
> On Wednesday 07 Nov 2007, Paul Tansom wrote:

<<snip>>
> > Does anyone know if the Addon units are any good? Specifically the
> > HP0850 85Mbps units. They seem exceptionally cheap compared to some of
> > the other units I've seen.
>
> There are several standards, beware:
>
> 15Mbps    HomePlug    original standard
> 85Mbps    HomePlug Turbo    proprietary "standard" can talk to 15Mbps units
> 200Mbps    HomePlug AV    newer standard can coexist but not talk to others
> 200Mbps DS2 Opera    newer standard can coexist but not talk to others

> There are two standard bodies for the 200Mbps technology and even though
> HomePlug Av is from the same people as the original HomePlug they don't
> interoperate. The Turbo version isn't a formal standard but it widley
> deployed and does interoperate with the original HomePlug Standard.
>
> Most early kit is HomePlug or HomePlug Turbo and is compatible across
> manufactures. The 200Mbps standards don't talk with each other or to the
> older standard units which is a pain if you want to mix and match.
>
> Prices are falling all the time, Solwise do 85Mbps Turbo units from £26 and
> 200Mbps AV units from £50 each. The only think putting me off the slower unit
> was that they are not forwardly compatible, and as the price falls it seemed
> easier to get the faster unit.

** end quote [Adam Trickett]

Thanks for that, useful info. I've been trying to read up on the
standards, but that has saved me some time :) I was originally thinking
that I should go for the 200Mbps units, but given that they are around
£52 plus postage from Solwise (the cheapest I've seen I think) I wasn't
in a major rush. I still have the problem that the machine I'm most
interested in using it on is on a surge protected extension, which no
doubt will cause problems :( I can see a use with one or two customers
though, and when I spotted some 85Mbps units at £23 each it started me
considering experimenting. £69 for the 3 units I'd like to use for
myself is a lot more affordable than £156 - although I may still hold
out as I'm in no rush and have wifi working well enough.

It is the PC that is causing me most problems. When booted into Windows
is will generally get very slow after a while, and is majorly prone to
locking up. That seemed sort of normal for Windows though, and simply in
need of a reinstall to tidy things, but when I installed Ubuntu 7.04
onto the machine I got a bit of a surprise. If I leave that running for
a while (couple of hours ish) I get a message detailing that an IRQ has
been disabled (I don't have the exact text handy) and the mouse and
keyboard become close to unusable. I can just about manage to get the
cursor to control a shutdown. Every hardware diagnostic I've tried has
given the machine a clean bill of health, but this would indicate a
hardware issue :(

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: