Re: [Hampshire] apache2 CGI script problem

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] apache2 CGI script problem
On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 12:57:24 +0000 Alex wrote:
> Apache configuration can be confusing. It's a bit of a dark art really.

Now they tell me!

> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/ is a great place to start. I'm using
> Apache 2.2.3 straight from apt.
>
> >                      If you like I can share my relevant Virtual Host
> > > declaration to see what's different.

> Here's the default (i.e. www) virtual host for my site:

Thank you. I have taken note of your example, will study the documentation
and see what I can make of it.

> Make sure you've got mod_cgi installed and enabled via `a2enmod cgi`. Remove
> the py-bin stuff above if you don't need it.

py = python, I presume. I don't know python.

> I run webmin at home where the box isn't hosting numerous sites and
> databases. I seriously do not recommend using it for a production system
> that's public-facing.

I'm not worried about security in that sense. My computer faces whoever
sits in front of it, no internet connection at all - no network card, not
even a modem. I don't like webmin because of the bug that causes it to
take all the memory and crash. It occurs to me that maybe I could turn
off swap when using it, which would at least make it crash rapidly, but
I think it would be better if I learnt what I was doing and did the
configuration manually.

> Hope that helps!

It certainly does. Much appreciated.

Peter Alefounder.