Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Gutsy upgrade: problem with loading N…

Author: Adam Cripps
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Gutsy upgrade: problem with loading Nvidia module automatically
On Nov 10, 2007 10:15 AM, Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 19:06 +0000, Adam Cripps wrote:
> > I've tried installing nvidia-glx, nvidia-glx-legacy and nvidia-glx-new
> > and none of them work. They all pretty much give the same output -
> > failed to load the nvidia kernel module! [0]
> >

> Did you remove the binary driver using the nvidia install/uninstall
> script _first_ though?
>
> This has caused problems for many users in the past. Trying to install
> the packaged versions of the drivers over the top of the
> script-installed one usually fails.
>
> I would recommend starting from scratch:-
>
> Remove all nvidia-* packages
> Switch to the nv driver in xorg.conf
> Remove the nvidia binary driver using their install script
> Double check there are no nvidia.ko's kicking around
> in /lib/modules/`uname -r`
>
> Make sure the system boots okay to use the nv driver.
> Use restricted drivers manager or manually install _one_ of the
> nvidia-glx* packages (the right one for your card).
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Thanks Al. I've followed your points (initially, I hadn't installed
the nvidia driver through the nvidia script). 'nv' starts xorg from
boot.

However, I'm still having problems. I've tried all three drivers
(nvidia-glx-legacy, nvidia-glx and nvidia-glx-new) and the
restricted-modules package. After each install, I've re-booted the
machine and checked if the nvidia module is loaded. Each package has
not loaded the module at boot.

When I try to manually load the module I get:

adam@home:~$ sudo modprobe nvidia
FATAL: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-386/volatile/nvidia.ko':
No such file or directory

Any ideas about what I can try next?
--
http://www.monkeez.org