Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Gutsy upgrade: problem with loading N…

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Gutsy upgrade: problem with loading Nvidia module automatically

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57413100.hantslug.org.uk.11209': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Nov 10 10:15:25 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
Hi Adam,

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 19:06 +0000, Adam Cripps wrote:
> I've tried installing nvidia-glx, nvidia-glx-legacy and nvidia-glx-new
> and none of them work. They all pretty much give the same output -
> failed to load the nvidia kernel module! [0]

Did you remove the binary driver using the nvidia install/uninstall
script _first_ though?

This has caused problems for many users in the past. Trying to install
the packaged versions of the drivers over the top of the
script-installed one usually fails.

I would recommend starting from scratch:-

Remove all nvidia-* packages
Switch to the nv driver in xorg.conf
Remove the nvidia binary driver using their install script
Double check there are no nvidia.ko's kicking around
in /lib/modules/`uname -r`

Make sure the system boots okay to use the nv driver.
Use restricted drivers manager or manually install _one_ of the
nvidia-glx* packages (the right one for your card).

Cheers,
Al.