Re: [Hampshire] Advice on buying a Tesco PC

Author: Jim Kissel
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Advice on buying a Tesco PC

Peter Salisbury wrote:
> Hi, we 'need' a new PC and the Tesco Ubuntu offering seems good value
> for money and saves building a machine myself. It also tells the
> market there's a call for Linux.
>
> The more expensive one [1] has a DVD rewriter and more memory which
> probably make it worth the extra £50. It also has an AMD 3600 64 Dual
> Core processor. Can anyone comment on how well Ubuntu handles that,
> and whether you really do get any better throughput for normal
> operations? (The cheaper PC [2] has a 2.66 GHz Celeron).
>
> TIA, Peter
>
> [1]http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-6129.aspx

There is something seriously wrong with the spec for the above machine.
1G of processor cache! No way. I think the main memory is 512M. Not
great, but enough to run most things, other than video editing.

> [2]http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-3224.aspx

Yes you can run with 256M of memory, but don't expect to run too many
applications concurrently. I would expect this system to spend an
irritating amount of time swapping applications.

re: dual core/processor speed, my 600Mhz VIA processor with on board
graphics and 512M of main memory, is quite happy to playback DVDs and
audio CDs. Unless you intend to edit videos or have some
computationally intensive tasks you need to run, you have more than
sufficient processing power with either unit, but don't expect top of
the line I/O performance to/from any of the drives.

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

People choose Microsoft Windows for their PC in the same manner
that the citizens of Soviet Russia elected the General Secretary
of the Communist Party during the cold war.

Jim Kissel
Open Source Migrations Limited
w: http://www.osml.eu
e: jim.kissel@???