Re: [Hampshire] LVM device node permissions

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] LVM device node permissions

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x575c6100.hantslug.org.uk.24690': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Nov 13 17:57:58 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 05:54:46PM +0000, Peter McGowan wrote:

> > > Bogged down with arguing with HP hw monitoring at the moment, so maybe
> > > I'm not reading things correctly, but what's the issue with using udev to
> > > control ownership?
> > >
> > > http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#ownership
> >
> >    Precisely what I said above -- when the nodes are created, udev is
> > not informed, so there's no rules examined. It looks like lvm creates
> > the nodes itself, in userspace, rather than going through the kernel
> > or otherwise alerting udev.

> >    Hugo.

> Can't you just kick off udevstart? That's what we do on the SAN at work when
> we've created new LUNs and need to apply a device persistence udev rule

No. udev is, as far as I can tell, *completely* unaware of these
device nodes.

Hugo.

  --- "He's a nutcase, you know. There's no getting away from it -- ---
                     he'll end up with a knighthood"