Re: [Hampshire] Tesco's Ubuntu computers

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Tesco's Ubuntu computers
Peter Salisbury wrote:
> Thought you might be interested to know that before I could order one
> the £139 Ubuntu PC's from Tesco they have gone (temporarily) out of
> stock - very fast sales. Unfortunately it's not quite as good news as
> it might be because reading around on the internet it seems people
> are also buying them to install (probably pirated) copies of
> Windows - aaargh! Still, from my own experience of installing Windows
> from scratch, that process might persuade them to stick with Linux in
> future!

Okay, not nearly as cheap but not bad at £250 inc. VAT and delivery is
this machine:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-027-OK

Of interest (and tenuously on topic!) is the fact that this price is
achieved in part by lack of an OS (see the drop-down). Disappointing
that no free of cheap alternative is offered, but heartening to see that
you are not obliged to buy MS.

Sean