Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problem…

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problems?
On Sunday 18 November 2007 13:06, Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 11:44:17AM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> > I was asking questions at every stage initially, but this impasse seems
> > just that, an impasse. Here below* is a sample of the error message I
> > get. I have tried to purge the broken package, I have tried to install
> > the missing dependencies, I have tried each of the offered options and I
> > have tried all those in all the permutations (I think!).
> >
> > I can neither install nor uninstall anything because of that one broken
> > package, which aptitude will neither agree to deal with nor delete. I
> > have tried asking the list, but basically the suggestions were all things
> > I had tried already. :-( I think that this installation is doomed, and
> > the only question is how to deal with it. And whilst I agree about
> > Libranet 3, which is why I am wanting to replace it, it does at least
> > talk prettily to all the hardware I have got.
> >
> > And might this problem at least be due to a faulty download?
>
>    It's plausible.

> > *
> > Building tag database... Done
> > The following packages are BROKEN:
> > iceweasel-gnome-support
> > The following packages have been kept back:
> > acroread-debian-files iceweasel libpcre3 libperl5.8 perl perl-base
> > perl-modules perl-suid realplayer
> > The following NEW packages will be installed:
> > ntp
> > 0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
> > Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 868kB will be used.
> > iceweasel-gnome-support: Depends: iceweasel (= 2.0.0.6+2.0.0.8-0etch1)
> > but 2.0.0.6-0etch1 is installed and it is kept back.
> > Resolving dependencies...
> > E: I wasn't able to locate file for the acroread-debian-files package.
> > This might mean you need to manually fix this package.
>
>    OK, this is going to be fixable.

Great! :-)

>    There's a "nuclear option"
> available, which is to edit /var/lib/dpkg/status and delete the
> acroread-debian-files package from it. This is not recommended,
> though. :)

>    The acroread-debian-files package comes from the
> debian-multimedia.org repository -- is this repository currently
> enabled on your system?

Yes.

>    In /var/cache/apt/archives/ is there a .deb for the
> acroread-debian-files package?

[lisi@Tux:/var/cache/apt/archives]$ ls -l | grep acroread-debian-files
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    12392 2007-09-26 14:13
acroread-debian-files_0.0.11_all.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    12442 2007-10-25 09:20
acroread-debian-files_0.0.12_i386.deb
[lisi@Tux:/var/cache/apt/archives]$

TIA
Lisi