Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problem…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problems?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58090100.hantslug.org.uk.11551': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Nov 18 13:06:55 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 11:44:17AM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> I was asking questions at every stage initially, but this impasse seems just
> that, an impasse. Here below* is a sample of the error message I get. I
> have tried to purge the broken package, I have tried to install the missing
> dependencies, I have tried each of the offered options and I have tried all
> those in all the permutations (I think!).
>
> I can neither install nor uninstall anything because of that one broken
> package, which aptitude will neither agree to deal with nor delete. I have
> tried asking the list, but basically the suggestions were all things I had
> tried already. :-( I think that this installation is doomed, and the only
> question is how to deal with it. And whilst I agree about Libranet 3, which
> is why I am wanting to replace it, it does at least talk prettily to all the
> hardware I have got.
>
> And might this problem at least be due to a faulty download?

It's plausible.

> *
> Building tag database... Done
> The following packages are BROKEN:
> iceweasel-gnome-support
> The following packages have been kept back:
> acroread-debian-files iceweasel libpcre3 libperl5.8 perl perl-base
> perl-modules perl-suid realplayer
> ntp
> 0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 868kB will be used.
> iceweasel-gnome-support: Depends: iceweasel (= 2.0.0.6+2.0.0.8-0etch1) but
> 2.0.0.6-0etch1 is installed and it is kept back.
> Resolving dependencies...
> E: I wasn't able to locate file for the acroread-debian-files package. This
> might mean you need to manually fix this package.

OK, this is going to be fixable. There's a "nuclear option"
available, which is to edit /var/lib/dpkg/status and delete the
acroread-debian-files package from it. This is not recommended,
though. :)

The acroread-debian-files package comes from the
debian-multimedia.org repository -- is this repository currently
enabled on your system?

In /var/cache/apt/archives/ is there a .deb for the
acroread-debian-files package?

Hugo.

   --- I spent most of my money on drink, women and fast cars. The ---
                      rest I wasted.  -- James Hunt