Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problem…

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problems?
On Sunday 18 November 2007 10:51, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Could you redefine the problem for those of us not familiar with it
> please?

There are a lot of things not working at all, or not functioning as they
ought; and they are insoluble because of the fact that there is a broken
package and aptitude is simply refusing to let me sort it out, so I can't
install anything.

I was asking questions at every stage initially, but this impasse seems just
that, an impasse. Here below* is a sample of the error message I get. I
have tried to purge the broken package, I have tried to install the missing
dependencies, I have tried each of the offered options and I have tried all
those in all the permutations (I think!).

I can neither install nor uninstall anything because of that one broken
package, which aptitude will neither agree to deal with nor delete. I have
tried asking the list, but basically the suggestions were all things I had
tried already. :-( I think that this installation is doomed, and the only
question is how to deal with it. And whilst I agree about Libranet 3, which
is why I am wanting to replace it, it does at least talk prettily to all the
hardware I have got.

And might this problem at least be due to a faulty download?

TIA
Lisi

*
Building tag database... Done
The following packages are BROKEN:
iceweasel-gnome-support
acroread-debian-files iceweasel libpcre3 libperl5.8 perl perl-base
perl-modules perl-suid realplayer
ntp
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 868kB will be used.
iceweasel-gnome-support: Depends: iceweasel (= 2.0.0.6+2.0.0.8-0etch1) but
2.0.0.6-0etch1 is installed and it is kept back.
Resolving dependencies...
E: I wasn't able to locate file for the acroread-debian-files package. This
might mean you need to manually fix this package.

Upgrade the following packages:
iceweasel [2.0.0.6-0etch1 (now) -> 2.0.0.6+2.0.0.8-0etch1 (stable)]

Score is 0

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]