Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problem…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problems?
hantslug@??? wrote:
> On Sunday 18 November 2007 10:51, Sean Gibbins wrote:
>
>> Could you redefine the problem for those of us not familiar with it
>> please?
>>

> There are a lot of things not working at all, or not functioning as they
> ought; and they are insoluble because of the fact that there is a broken
> package and aptitude is simply refusing to let me sort it out, so I can't
> install anything.
>
> I was asking questions at every stage initially, but this impasse seems just
> that, an impasse. Here below* is a sample of the error message I get. I
> have tried to purge the broken package, I have tried to install the missing
> dependencies, I have tried each of the offered options and I have tried all
> those in all the permutations (I think!).
>
> I can neither install nor uninstall anything because of that one broken
> package, which aptitude will neither agree to deal with nor delete. I have
> tried asking the list, but basically the suggestions were all things I had
> tried already. :-( I think that this installation is doomed, and the only
> question is how to deal with it. And whilst I agree about Libranet 3, which
> is why I am wanting to replace it, it does at least talk prettily to all the
> hardware I have got.
>
> And might this problem at least be due to a faulty download?

Hi Lisi,

I guess a dodgy download might render a package 'invisible', but it
occurs to me that this is more of a pickle than a disaster and should be
resolvable without resorting to rebuilds, let alone new hardware.

I haven't the skill to diagnose and repair over the ether, but in your
position and with the absence of fresh advice from the list, my next
step would be to hit the Debian mailing lists and forums, then sign up
and ask a question if the answer isn't lurking in the archives somewhere.

To be honest I think perseverance and some input from one of the smarter
Deb-heads here will sort this one out. This is Stable after all!

Sean