Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problem…

Author: hantslug
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problems?
On Sunday 18 November 2007 11:30, Vic wrote:
> You'll probably never have to come to grips with rpm, just as you don't
> have to get to grips with dpkg. Use apt or yum instead.

Yes, but the whole apt/aptitude/dpkg is now firmly in my comfort zone; whereas
when I looked at yum I couldn't see where to start. But I am not averse to
learning.

> > Advice, please!  This is my main desktop.  I need to have it working.
>
> If you have a brand-spankers HDD that is currently unused, you might like
> to do a trial installation of Fedora. I've found F7 very good indeed (it's
> now my default rescue CD, supplanting the venerable Knoppix). I haven't
> used F8 yet, but I'm told it's very good, as long as you're not upgrading
> (an issue that is going to bite every distro eventually - just F8 got
> there first). And if you don't like Fedora - wipe it.

That had crossed my mind. But I am a bit worried about the fact that I have
my /home on a separate HDD and would like to be able to just plug it in. I
am worried that some of the hidden files might cause problems in an unrelated
distro (they are causing some minor problems already. :-( ), and although I
would be more than happy to ditch the hidden files and just keep the data, I
haven't succeeded in working out any way other than manual to do it. And I
haven't got a year or two spare at the moment. ;-) Tho' needs must when the
devil drives...

Still, it might as you say be worth biting the bullet and going for
suck-and-see. It's certainly one of the options.

TIA
Lisi