Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problem…

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problems?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57842100.hantslug.org.uk.11788': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Nov 18 13:07:46 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
Hi Lisi,

On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 10:36 +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> So the question inevitably arrises: software or hardware?

Ok, I'm going to try to say this as tactfully as I possibly can, and
hope you don't take offence to this. There is a third option that could
be at fault. The operator of the computer.

Could it be that you've done "something dumb" which has got you in this
situation rather than it being a hardware or software "fault"?

I know I have done things (on various systems) in the past which were
stupid and resulted in breakage. At the time I was happy to blame the
software but later discovered it was my own ineptitude that caused the
problem (even getting ridiculed by other employees at christmas parties
for years afterwards - calls in my direction of "he formatted my hard
disk!" across the dance floor were not unheard of).

The reason I say this is not to point the finger but to alert you that
whatever distro you choose, whatever version, if you're doing something
fundamentally wrong then you're going to break it. Now the issue is _if_
that's the case, how do you identify what it is.

Cheers,
Al.