Re: [Hampshire] Upgrading Ubuntu 6.06 to 7.10

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Upgrading Ubuntu 6.06 to 7.10

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56777100.hantslug.org.uk.6809': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Nov 18 13:00:00 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C

On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 10:39 +0000, Cayenne-uk wrote:
> After sticking with Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper for various reasons, I now want
> to upgrade to 7.10 . I have the CD and expected to find an easy way to
> upgrade, perhaps with a desktop icon, perhaps in Synaptic, or even
> using apt-get, but to no avail.
>
> It seems that I have to upgrade to the next release in sequence, which
> is kind of difficult for me as I don't have the CDs, and I can't find
> any place on the Ubuntu site to download them from. It seems my only
> option is to re-install afresh. So I'm seeking advice now. Is my
> understanding correct? And what approach is best recommended?

This is all well documented on the Ubuntu documentation website:-

For 6.06 to 6.10:-
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdgyUpgrades

For 6.10 to 7.04:-
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FeistyUpgrades

For 7.04 to 7.10:-
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades

General notes:-
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

In a nutshell the upgrade manager in an LTS release won't automatically
prompt you when there is a newer release available. So on 6.06 you need
to run "gksu update-manager -c" to force it to check. For all (non-LTS)
releases after 6.06 you just run update manager and it will find the new
release and offer an upgrade option to that version.

Cheers,
Al.