Re: [Hampshire] Upgrading Ubuntu 6.06 to 7.10

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Upgrading Ubuntu 6.06 to 7.10
Cayenne-uk wrote:
> After sticking with Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper for various reasons, I now want
> to upgrade to 7.10 . I have the CD and expected to find an easy way to
> upgrade, perhaps with a desktop icon, perhaps in Synaptic, or even using
> apt-get, but to no avail.
>
> It seems that I have to upgrade to the next release in sequence, which
> is kind of difficult for me as I don't have the CDs, and I can't find
> any place on the Ubuntu site to download them from. It seems my only
> option is to re-install afresh. So I'm seeking advice now. Is my
> understanding correct? And what approach is best recommended?

Upgrading from 6.06 to 7.10 directly is not supported. You will need to
upgrade to each intermediate release in turn, 6.06 -> 6.10 -> 7.04 ->
7.10. I believe the plan is that LTS releases will be upgradable between
each other, but there hasn't been an LTS release since 6.06.

If you have CDs for each then you should be able to just pop the disc in
and upgrade. Alternatively you can use the update manager on the desktop
and amend your sources.list accordingly. (Later releases will
automatically amend sources.list, but I don't think 6.06 -> 6.10 did.)

HTH,

Tony