Re: [Hampshire] Upgrading Ubuntu 6.06 to 7.10

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Upgrading Ubuntu 6.06 to 7.10

----- Original Message -----
From: Cayenne-uk
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2007 10:39 AM
Subject: [Hampshire] Upgrading Ubuntu 6.06 to 7.10

After sticking with Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper for various reasons, I now want to
upgrade to 7.10 . I have the CD and expected to find an easy way to upgrade,
perhaps with a desktop icon, perhaps in Synaptic, or even using apt-get, but
to no avail.

It seems that I have to upgrade to the next release in sequence, which is
kind of difficult for me as I don't have the CDs, and I can't find any place
on the Ubuntu site to download them from. It seems my only option is to
re-install afresh. So I'm seeking advice now. Is my understanding correct?
And what approach is best recommended?

Thanks

Kelvin

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???
14:55

You can download the Ubuntu CDs from the following link:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

There are many more experience Ubuntu folks on here than me, but I'd
actually say moving from 6.06 to 7.10 by a clean install is the best method.
I went from 6.06 to 7.04 a while back and found the process a bit awkward.
A clean install worked for me.

My approach would be to backup /home and /etc/xorg.conf.

Cheers
Rob