Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problem…

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problems?
On Sunday 18 November 2007 17:34, john lewis wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:03:28 +0000
>
> hantslug@??? wrote:
> > On Sunday 18 November 2007 15:25, Hugo Mills wrote:

> > >    OK. What does the following say?

> > > $ COLUMNS=160 dpkg -l \*acroread\*
> >
> > [lisi@Tux:/var/cache/apt/archives]$ COLUMNS=160 dpkg -l \*acroread\*
> > Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
> >
> > Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> >
> > |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
> >
> > uppercase=bad) ||/ Name
> > Version Description
> > +++-==================================-==================================
> >-=========================================================================
> >=========== ii  acroread
> > 8.1.1-0.2 Adobe Acrobat Reader: Portable Document Format file viewer
> > iHR acroread-debian-files
> > 0.0.11 Debian specific parts of Adobe Acrobat Reader
> > ii  acroread-escript
> > 8.1.1-0.2 Adobe EScript Plug-In
> > un  acroread-plugin
> > <none>                             (no description available)
> > un  acroread-plugins
> > <none>                             (no description available)
> > ii  mozilla-acroread
> > 8.1.1-0.2 Adobe Acrobat(R) Reader plugin for mozilla / konqueror

> FWIW I have just done "aptitude install acroread" on the laptop
> and I get slightly different results to the above, there is no
> mention of Adobe EScrip Plug-In or mozilla-acroread.
>
> I did not attempt to install acroread-plugins which is probably why I
> have a difference.
>
> The reason I didn't install it before is lack of memory on the
> laptop. I have been using acroread all day to access genealogy data
> in large pdf files on my current main system which has 256 Meg memory
> (twice that on the laptop) and acroread just crawls. It needs 1 Gig
> to be really usable so I use xpdf for quick reads of pdf files.

Uninstalling it via aptitude is not an option, or I would happily do it. But
aptitude is firmly stuck on the intractable problem.
I have 512 Mb RAM and have not here-to-fore had a problem with acroread files.
And acroread itself is one of the things that are working fine. It just
seems to be helping to block aptitude. :-(

Lisi