[Hampshire] LDAP and RSYNC

Author: Keir Whitlock
To: Hampshire
CC:
Subject: [Hampshire] LDAP and RSYNC
Hi all,
    I am trying to set up an ldap server, which when running works a
treat and I have connected two servers to it, who authenticate users nicely.
However I also use rsync every min to keep certain directories in sync
with a master server, but this fails when ever the ldap service is
switched off.

I get the following in the messages file:
/
Nov 22 12:09:49 SERVER1 rsync: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server
ldap://ldapserver.domain.co.uk: Can't contact
LDAP server/

I have the admin users to the nss_initgroups_ignoreusers variable in
/etc/ldap.conf, so if the ldapserver goes down I can still log in.
However when it goes down, the rsync process fails and I would like to
keep the files this is updating, updated should the ldapserver fail.

Any thoughts on this?

Keir