Re: [Hampshire] gOS comments

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] gOS comments
Noble R.M. wrote:
[...]
> Does anyone know anymore about gOS though and who's actually behind
> it? I'm guessing Asus didn't develop it themselves. I tried a
> livecd the other day and thought it was brilliantly simple, though
> lacking on features for a main desktop..

gOS is based on ubuntu http://www.thinkgos.com/technology.html
I installed it to get a closer look, like it, although for my own use
it is a little simplistic.

I have spent a lot of time with older computer novices and a question
which often occurs is - what would I advise about buying a PC? What
should they choose? After I spend two long sessions with a new Dell
laptop owner, cleaning the crapware out of it, installing free
antivirus and firewall, and setting up email and firefox, adaware etc,
I see the introduction of gOS as a much awaited miracle. I am not in
the least surprised the Everex PC sold quickly. It suits a large
section of non techie computer users very well.

http://www.thinkgos.com/company.html

gOS site Extracts:
'We started in this business because we saw a big need for a good
operating system (OS) company.'
[....]
Special Thank You’s to our friends at...
...gOS Team & Community for doing the impossible on a daily basis.
...Everex for taking a leap of faith in gOS and in free and open
source software.
...Google for making great products and permitting us to use Google
trademarks, icons, shortcuts.
...Enlightenment for common sense and preparation.
...Ubuntu for a great community and Linux distribution.

I look in at the gOS support faq when I can and maybe help out a bit.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391