Re: [Hampshire] Linux time command for DOS?

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux time command for DOS?
** Alan Pope <alan@???> [2007-11-23 17:12]:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 03:39:59PM +0000, Paul Tansom wrote:
> > ** Andy Random <andy.random@???> [2007-11-23 13:31]:
> > > Ok so slightly off topic but I have a large number of GNU utilities
> > > compiled to run under Windows/DOS but I've never found a version of the
> > > Linux time command.
> > >
> > > I could really use a copy to... well, err, time somethings :)
> > >
> > > Does anybody know where I can find a version to run under DOS?
> > ** end quote [Andy Random]
> >
> > I thought that DOS had both date and time commands, but it may vary on
> > the version of DOS you are using, and I don't have a handy DOS/Windows
> > box on which to check. There may have been an issue with getting the
> > command to simply show the time/date as opposed to setting it...
>
> DOS Date and Time commands merely tell you the date and time, they don't do
> what the unix time commands do which is tell you how long a command took to
> run.
>
> "DOS commands in 'crappier than their *nix counterparts' shocker".

** end quote [Alan Pope]

In which case I'll dive back into the Windows 2003 resource kit and dig
out the NTIMER command which looks as though it might do what is
required. Don't ask me about any licensing issues or etc., and for a
single command a download of 11.8 MB is pretty hefty! It looks as though
it is in the Windows 2000 resource kit as well which may be a little
smaller.

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9D467A69-57FF-4AE7-96EE-B18C4790CFFD&displaylang=en
[2] http://www.thesethingsmattertome.com/2007/10/benchmarking-on-windows-with-ntimer.html
[3] http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=3214
[4] http://malektips.com/xp_dos_0024.html

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: