Re: [Hampshire] Linux time command for DOS?

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux time command for DOS?
** Alan Pope <alan@???> [2007-11-23 17:12]:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 03:39:59PM +0000, Paul Tansom wrote:
> > ** Andy Random <andy.random@???> [2007-11-23 13:31]:
> > > Ok so slightly off topic but I have a large number of GNU utilities
> > > compiled to run under Windows/DOS but I've never found a version of the
> > > Linux time command.
> > >
> > > I could really use a copy to... well, err, time somethings :)
> > >
> > > Does anybody know where I can find a version to run under DOS?
> > ** end quote [Andy Random]
> >
> > I thought that DOS had both date and time commands, but it may vary on
> > the version of DOS you are using, and I don't have a handy DOS/Windows
> > box on which to check. There may have been an issue with getting the
> > command to simply show the time/date as opposed to setting it...
>
> DOS Date and Time commands merely tell you the date and time, they don't do
> what the unix time commands do which is tell you how long a command took to
> run.
>
> "DOS commands in 'crappier than their *nix counterparts' shocker".

** end quote [Alan Pope]

Just done a 'man time' and it looks interesting. I guess I haven't
needed to do that before, and the original post struck a chord with when
I was trying to timestamp things in NT batch scripts way back when :)

I do sometimes log the start and finish time, but that is what I'm
interested in, not the how long bit specifically. Most of my batch stuff
tends to either run pretty much instantly, or take a decent length of
time which is mainly dependent on the quantity of data involved and/or
the network speed. Hence I'm more interested in when did it start and
when did it finish to compare to start and finish times of other
actions.

Yes, it is pretty much a given that DOS commands are more than a little
basic in their capabilities. I guess that's why I have a copy of books
like Sed and Awk nothing on DOS (bar a couple of supplied manuals) ;)

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: