Re: [Hampshire] Sendmail authentication and ssl

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Sendmail authentication and ssl

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57da9100.hantslug.org.uk.4759': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Nov 24 00:17:39 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 12:00:54AM +0000, Graeme Hilton wrote:
> My problem is deciphering the sendmail configuration. I have no idea
> what the guy who wrote it was thinking, but it's just a horrendous mess
> of crap!!!

This is why, some 8-9 years ago, I started running qmail. Line
noise isn't my idea of a configuration file. Pre-processing your
configuration file with a macro processor isn't, either. (This is also
why I don't much like Qt, for the record).

A few years later, concerned about the license terms and relevance
on the modern internet of qmail, I moved to exim, which is well-
documented, and generally comprehensible with a bit of effort. Others
will recommend postfix -- I have no experience of the latter, but have
heard good things of it from people I trust.

<flamebait>
Still others will ask what's wrong with the sendmail config syntax,
as m4 will do it all for you. These latter people are sad, confused
individuals, and you should merely nod politely and let them go back
to their vi sessions.
</flamebait>

Hugo.

            --- There isn't a noun that can't be verbed. ---