Re: [Hampshire] Sendmail authentication and ssl

Author: Graeme Hilton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Sendmail authentication and ssl
Vic wrote:
>> I run sendmail on my home server. It's not internet facing ... However,
>> I would like it to accept connections from external mail clients
>>

> You need to have a bit of a think about what you really want to do; do you
> want to run an internet-facing MTA? a MSA port only?

What's an MSA?
> IMAP is entirely separate from SMTP.

I know that, I was just using that to illustrate that I want to, and do
already, use encryption to protect my passwords and mail.

>> My problem is deciphering the sendmail configuration. I have no idea
>> what the guy who wrote it was thinking, but it's just a horrendous mess
>> of crap!!!
>>

> Well, it's certainly not friendly to the newcomer. But after a while, it does start to make sense. Compared to the exim4 setup, for example, it's yer bestest ever mate...

Then I can only hope I never have to use exim!

>> Can someone just confirm that I've not set up an open
>> relay, and that things look ok with this setup?
>>

> http://www.abuse.net/relay.html is perhaps the most important link you'll
> ever get. See what it says...

Well, it says it can't connect, so I presume that's a step in the right
direction! I assume it only tries connecting to port 25, which is
currently unforwarded on my firewall.

>> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
>> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=192.168.0.102, Name=MTA')dnl
>>
> Is this the right address for your MTA? Do you really need to restrict the
> IP address?

In the past I had sendmail operating as an internet facing MTA,
receiving all mail for my domain. Then I changed the setup to use my
ISPs POP server and then altered the sendmail configuration to only
listen on the local interface. These lines are a hangover from when I
was fiddling with that.
> The line in my config file is simply
>
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
>
> I'm not sure (and I'm too lazy to look up) what effect two such lines will have; I expect the result to be the union of the two option lines, but I don't know for sure.
>

>> dnl # The following causes sendmail to additionally listen to port 587 for
>> dnl # mail from MUAs that authenticate. Roaming users who can't reach
>> their
>> dnl # preferred sendmail daemon due to port 25 being blocked or
>> redirected find
>> dnl # this useful.
>>
> This is the bit I would expect you to use for external clients
>

>> dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl
>>
> ...but that leading "dnl" is a stub-out; you're not opening MSA.
>

>> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=TLSMTA, M=s')dnl
>>
> That's port 465; it can work, but is deprecated. I'd check your client
> very carefully to see if this is the port you want.
>
> Other than that, your config doesn't look dreadful - just perhaps a bit
> sparse. My advice would be to write down (in words) exactly what you're
> trying to achieve, then find a way to implement it...

I want the mail server to be the MTA for my local network. I use my
ISPs POP mail server and collect mail from several mailboxes using
fetchmail. I'm very happy with this arrangement as it saves my mail in
case of a network outage and provides an alternative means of access to
new mail if it all goes wrong.

Currently the MTA is used for outbound mail from my local network and
forwards all such mail to the ISPs relay host.

What I want to do is be able to use a mobile device to send mail from
inside or outside my local network, without having to change any account
settings on the mobile device. This seems to suggest runnning an MTA
that requires TLS and authentication, but will also process the incoming
mail from fetchmail.

Hope this makes sense,

--
Graeme Hilton