Re: [Hampshire] Sendmail authentication and ssl

Top Page
Author: David Ramsden
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Sendmail authentication and ssl

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5806b100.hantslug.org.uk.29101': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Nov 24 20:50:45 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B15F69BD3454B217
Graeme Hilton wrote:
[snip]

> What I want to do is be able to use a mobile device to send mail from
> inside or outside my local network, without having to change any account
> settings on the mobile device. This seems to suggest runnning an MTA
> that requires TLS and authentication, but will also process the incoming
> mail from fetchmail.

Connecting from the mobile device using 3G or GPRS? First step is to
make sure your mobile provider allows you to connect to 3rd party mail
servers for sending mail.

Depending on the provider and/or package, they only let you send through
their SMTP servers. In some cases (i.e. O2 PAYG) you can only send
through their servers and you have to send your mail from an @o2.co.uk
account, so relaying isn't permitted at all.

Regards,
David.
--
 .''`.     David Ramsden