Re: [Hampshire] OT 3 Network USB dongle?

Author: Chris Aitken
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT 3 Network USB dongle?
> Currently I've not seen anything close to the theoretical 2.8Mbps possible
> with HSDPA (around 1Mbps is the best I've seen and that is a lot faster
> than the average which is probably closer to the 100 Kbps mark) but 3 do
> seem to have a fairly aggressive roll out planned to improve their high
> speed coverage so it might improve in the next year or so.

I'm going slightly off topic here, so please forgive me...

Can anyone explain the bizarre range of speeds available on mobile
phones/dongles today?

On my 3G treo (in O2 3G coverage) I can get about 120 kbps in the UK
and Ireland. If I select GPRS only here I'm lucky to get 50 kbps,
though in Ireland I have obtained over 250 kbps (I assume this to be
EDGE not GPRS). Speeds take from [1] with the 200k test.

And regardless of what I use, when connected to my PC it always
displays 115 kbps as the connection speed!

Chris

[1] hhttp://www.dslreports.com/mspeed?jisok=1&more=1