Re: [Hampshire] smbfs

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] smbfs
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:58:25 +0000
Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 09:51:59AM +0000, Tim wrote:
> > On Sat November 24 2007 09:09, john lewis wrote:
> > > I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone on this list but
> > > I think someone mentioned problems with an upgrade to samba a
> > > few days back
> > > --
> > > John Lewis
> > > Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package
> >
> > It was me, the problems were in the *buntu repo's (which mepis
> > use's for it v6 series) but this has now been resolved
> >

> It was actually an upstream problem with the SAMBA team themselves,
> both Ubuntu and Red Hat had the same problem when they packaged and
> released the new version from SAMBA.

I didn't know what the actual problem was, but since I didn't know I
thought I 'd quote Christian Perrier in case it resolved a problem
for someone.

The actual problem Vic came across probably had nothing to do with
the usage of smbfs rather than cifs that Christian wrote about - but
he was talking about the views of the upstream team so it could
have been relevant.

I seem to recall trying to use smbmount in the dim and distant past
and giving up on it. And looking at the man pages confuses me.

man samba has this:

smbmount(8), smbumount(8), smbmnt(8)
          smbmount,smbumount and smbmnt are commands that can be used
to mount CIFS/SMB shares on Linux.

but man smbmount just gives 'No manual entry for smbmount' and there
is no file smbmount anywhere.

I do have samba and samba-client installed and presumably working as
I can access the shared directory set up in smb.conf from the w2k
box

It doesn't look as though 'CIFS vfs' is built into the current Debian
2.6.23 kernel* I am using and I have no  /sbin/mount.cifs. So it
seems I cannot put a line like
     //server/usersharename  /mnt/username cifs user 0 0
it /etc/fstab

*I'd googled for CIFS and got
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/sfrench/cifs-backport-old-kernels.git;a=blob;f=fs/cifs/README;hb=HEAD

I should have ignored all this I think and carried on regardless!!!