Re: [Hampshire] smbfs

Author: Steve Kemp
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] smbfs
On Sat Nov 24, 2007 at 12:23:03 +0000, john lewis wrote:

> > It was actually an upstream problem with the SAMBA team themselves,
> > both Ubuntu and Red Hat had the same problem when they packaged and
> > released the new version from SAMBA.
>
> I didn't know what the actual problem was, but since I didn't know I
> thought I 'd quote Christian Perrier in case it resolved a problem
> for someone.

The problem with Samba came about because they released a patch for
a security problem, the patch contained a regression which was
only spotted after it was made available by several distributions.

I *knowingly* released the Debian security update for Samba on Friday
with that same regression present - as I figured that was better than
leaving Debian Etch users vulnerable.

All being well I'll have the corrected security package out today
or tomorrow which will fix both the regression and the reported
security bugs.

But it is worth dropping smb in favour of cifs ASAP, it is only a
matter of time before the former is dropped entirely.

And thats the end of my explanation!

Steve