Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)
Jack Knight wrote:
> John Cooper wrote:
>> alan c wrote:
>>
>>> Being a Guardian reader, I do not often see offerings in The Sun.
>>> However, google has triumphed to show me an article, apparently
>>> published today:
>>> =========================
>>> Is this the greatest laptop ever made?
>>> http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fun/gizmo/article495677.ece
>>> =========================
>>>

>> Great article which will appeal to people who wouldn't normally touch
>> Linux due to the unknown. I'm sure it will not be long before M$ fire a
>> shot to kill this dead but I hope it will be too late to prevent further
>> take up. The mini PCs are the opposite end of the Vista market and
>> hopefully it will make people realise that they just don't need Vista,
>> M$ will then collapse and I'll have a job for life :-)
>>
> I think you're on the right track there John. Putting bloatware like
> Vista or even XP on this type of device is converse to the design
> philosophy - it's NOT intended to be a computing panacea as most MS
> O/S based PC's purport to be - it's supposed to provide simple access
> to a limited number of functions with great portability and reasonable
> performance; anyone who buys one should do so on that basis.
> <cut>

There is already the Intel Classmate that runs M$ so they must be
already developing a cut down version of Vista (it will hopefully take
them 5 years to cut the bloat though).

> I totally disagree with the comment in the article where
> it says "a 1GB machine has been mentioned for the future incorporating
> Windows Vista. Now that would blow the mainstream laptop market wide
> open even if it was £100 or so more costly."

Yes, you are right. He has probably been told that by some M$
techie/android and it might make some wait for it to come out, but most
will just pay the £220 and try it.

> It won't work, The article authors lack understanding of design and
> architecture is shown up by this comment, but this kind of thing is
> what presents the real danger to this excellent little machine (and
> even though Asus seem to be in violation of the GPL, I hope this is
> just an oversight).

With such a high profile and fast selling PC the GPL enforcers will sort
them out. The threat of court action like the recent ones should be
enough for them to comply. It is amazing that people so used to having
to license M$ still don't understand that the GPL is just as much a
license as any other.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk