Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)
On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 06:08:55PM +0000, John Cooper wrote:
> There is already the Intel Classmate that runs M$ so they must be
> already developing a cut down version of Vista (it will hopefully take
> them 5 years to cut the bloat though).

The current (version 1.2) classmate is supplied with XP or (more often)
Linux. Something like 180,000 devices have been sold to one far eastern
governent for their schools. It will run Edubuntu.

> Yes, you are right. He has probably been told that by some M$
> techie/android and it might make some wait for it to come out, but most
> will just pay the £220 and try it.

XP already runs on the Eee, but I can't realistically see Vista running any
time soon on any ultra-small form-factor laptop such as the Eee, Classmate
or OLPC. It's just way too bloated.

Cheers,
Al.