Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

Author: Steve Kirk
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)
On 25 Nov 2007, at 19:15, Alan Pope wrote:

> XP already runs on the Eee, but I can't realistically see Vista
> running any
> time soon on any ultra-small form-factor laptop such as the Eee,
> Classmate
> or OLPC. It's just way too bloated.

I would have to agree - my understanding is that the Vista installation
requires
15GB to install (with a recommended minimum 40GB drive) and then the
licence you have dictates what 'features' (aero etc.) are available.

Interestingly, it looks like OpenBSD-current will run on the EeePC. [0]
However, it does sound like there is a problem with suspend currently.
Still OpenBSD is a pretty small install, so would be ideal IMO.

And it seems that it's also possible to hack OS X to run on it! [1]

Cheers,
Steve

[0] http://marc.info/?t=119497768400004&r=1&w=2
[1] http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/11/12654/