Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Jim Kissel wrote:

> Lets bring a bit of reality to this subject. I've timed the power-on to
> ready for input a number of times on my 701. I always get 21 seconds.

In my tests it usually takes around 25 seconds, sometimes slightly less
sometimes slightly more.

> If this time is the only thing that is show stopper for you,

That depends on your definition of show stopper. It won't stop me using
the machine, but it does mean I won't use it in the way that I would like
to and so limits it's use to me.

> you could always try leaving it in "stand-by" mode.

Stand-by is another one of those niggles I mentioned previously, about 1
in 5 times that I put the unit in to stand-by it crashes, causing me to
have to powered it all the way down.

> Open the top and hit the power switch. Ready for input in sub 5 seconds
> and no I don't know how long it will idle in this mode on the batteries.

Again for me it's 5+ seconds out of standby and as Sam pointed out that is
5 seconds too long for my liking.

Andy