Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)
On Monday 26 November 2007 18:50:51 Andy Random wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Samuel Penn wrote:
> > On Monday 26 November 2007 17:23:23 John Cooper wrote:
> >> This is a mini laptop, not a handheld so 15-30s is acceptable to have
> >> such a powerful portable computer. Obviously, the boot up can be tweaked
> >> to reduce the time and I'm sure it will reduce.
> >
> > It's the same size as the Psion 7, which was great as a (paper)
> > notebook replacement. A startup of 15s+ may be acceptable to you,
> > but it's not so acceptable to someone like me who is still looking
> > for a Psion 7 replacement. It greatly limits its usefulness.
> >
> > Obviously we have different requirements.
>
> I'm with Sam on this one, true "Instant on" would have been of huge
> benefit to me and 25-30 seconds is way too long for my liking.
>
> Obviously this isn't going to be an issue for everybody, but I suspect it
> will limit the usefulness and appeal of the machine to a reasonable number
> of people.
>
> Sam, if you ever find a Psion 7 replacement please let me know!

The other advantage the P7 had, was 8hr+ battery life (whilst in constant
use). This really makes it hard to find a successor, since any replacement
would also need wireless (which the P7 never had).

If I ever find anything close, I'm sure there's plenty on this list who
would be interested :-)

(The N810 looks interesting, but I'm not sure what the battery life
is like).

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???