Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Samuel Penn wrote:

> On Monday 26 November 2007 17:23:23 John Cooper wrote:
>> This is a mini laptop, not a handheld so 15-30s is acceptable to have
>> such a powerful portable computer. Obviously, the boot up can be tweaked
>> to reduce the time and I'm sure it will reduce.
>
> It's the same size as the Psion 7, which was great as a (paper)
> notebook replacement. A startup of 15s+ may be acceptable to you,
> but it's not so acceptable to someone like me who is still looking
> for a Psion 7 replacement. It greatly limits its usefulness.
>
> Obviously we have different requirements.

I'm with Sam on this one, true "Instant on" would have been of huge
benefit to me and 25-30 seconds is way too long for my liking.

Obviously this isn't going to be an issue for everybody, but I suspect it
will limit the usefulness and appeal of the machine to a reasonable number
of people.

Sam, if you ever find a Psion 7 replacement please let me know!

Andy