Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

Author: Jim Kissel
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

Andy Random wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Samuel Penn wrote:
>
>> On Monday 26 November 2007 17:23:23 John Cooper wrote:
>>> This is a mini laptop, not a handheld so 15-30s is acceptable to have
>>> such a powerful portable computer. Obviously, the boot up can be tweaked
>>> to reduce the time and I'm sure it will reduce.
>>
>> It's the same size as the Psion 7, which was great as a (paper)
>> notebook replacement. A startup of 15s+ may be acceptable to you,
>> but it's not so acceptable to someone like me who is still looking
>> for a Psion 7 replacement. It greatly limits its usefulness.
>>
>> Obviously we have different requirements.
>
> I'm with Sam on this one, true "Instant on" would have been of huge
> benefit to me and 25-30 seconds is way too long for my liking.

Lets bring a bit of reality to this subject. I've timed the power-on to
ready for input a number of times on my 701. I always get 21 seconds.
I've seen videos where the power-on to ready time is 15 seconds, but I
can't tell what if any modifications may have been made to the machine.

If this time is the only thing that is show stopper for you, you could
always try leaving it in "stand-by" mode. Open the top and hit the power
switch. Ready for input in sub 5 seconds and no I don't know how long
it will idle in this mode on the batteries.