Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)
Andy Random wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Jim Kissel wrote:
>
>> Lets bring a bit of reality to this subject. I've timed the power-on
>> to ready for input a number of times on my 701. I always get 21
>> seconds.
>
> In my tests it usually takes around 25 seconds, sometimes slightly
> less sometimes slightly more.
>
>> If this time is the only thing that is show stopper for you,
>
> That depends on your definition of show stopper. It won't stop me
> using the machine, but it does mean I won't use it in the way that I
> would like to and so limits it's use to me.
>
>> you could always try leaving it in "stand-by" mode.
>
> Stand-by is another one of those niggles I mentioned previously, about
> 1 in 5 times that I put the unit in to stand-by it crashes, causing me
> to have to powered it all the way down.
>
>> Open the top and hit the power switch. Ready for input in sub 5
>> seconds and no I don't know how long it will idle in this mode on the
>> batteries.
>
> Again for me it's 5+ seconds out of standby and as Sam pointed out
> that is 5 seconds too long for my liking.
>
> Andy

It takes 32 seconds to the point where the wifi is up and you can
message with the web cam. Suspend takes 3 seconds to come out of which
is pretty good, though haven't tested how long the batteries will last.
I also use my PMA400 in suspend mode and it works very well.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk