Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

Author: Jim Kissel
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

John Cooper wrote:
> Andy Random wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Jim Kissel wrote:
>>
>>> Lets bring a bit of reality to this subject. I've timed the power-on
>>> to ready for input a number of times on my 701. I always get 21
>>> seconds.
>> In my tests it usually takes around 25 seconds, sometimes slightly
>> less sometimes slightly more.
>>
>>> If this time is the only thing that is show stopper for you,
>> That depends on your definition of show stopper. It won't stop me
>> using the machine, but it does mean I won't use it in the way that I
>> would like to and so limits it's use to me.
>>
>>> you could always try leaving it in "stand-by" mode.
>> Stand-by is another one of those niggles I mentioned previously, about
>> 1 in 5 times that I put the unit in to stand-by it crashes, causing me
>> to have to powered it all the way down.
>>
>>> Open the top and hit the power switch. Ready for input in sub 5
>>> seconds and no I don't know how long it will idle in this mode on the
>>> batteries.
>> Again for me it's 5+ seconds out of standby and as Sam pointed out
>> that is 5 seconds too long for my liking.
>>
>> Andy
>>
> It takes 32 seconds to the point where the wifi is up and you can
> message with the web cam. Suspend takes 3 seconds to come out of which
> is pretty good, though haven't tested how long the batteries will last.
> I also use my PMA400 in suspend mode and it works very well.

From the eeeForum imabuddha writes:
"Last night when I put my eee into suspend by closing the lid it had
nearly 100% power. Nine hours later I when I woke it up it still showed
60%, and I used it for over an hour with full brightness, wifi, etc.,
and still had about 20%.

It seems my eee is only using ~5%/hour in suspend. I only have the
stock 512MB ram, and I wonder if those with 1 or 2MB ram are seeing the
higher suspend power usage."
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=3282

YMMV