Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

On Mon, November 26, 2007 00:50, Andy Random wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, John Cooper wrote:
>> 30 seconds is slow then? Seems fine to me.
>
> For a machine that you sit and use for hours it's fine, for a travel
> machine that you might want to take the odd note on it's not so ideal.

My Psion 7 was instant on, as in, open the lid, press the on
button, and start typing. At most a second for the screen to
finish switching itself on.

The latest version of OpenZaurus has a 'feature' where it
can take 10-15 seconds to switch on and open the address
book. This is too slow, and makes it IMO unusable.

Anything which is going to be used as an adhoc notebook
really needs to be responsive within at most 2-3 seconds,
preferably sub-second, otherwise it's easier to get out a
dead tree.

--
Be seeing you,            http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                      xmpp:sam@???