Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)
Samuel Penn wrote:
> On Mon, November 26, 2007 00:50, Andy Random wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, John Cooper wrote:
>>
>>> 30 seconds is slow then? Seems fine to me.
>>>
>> For a machine that you sit and use for hours it's fine, for a travel
>> machine that you might want to take the odd note on it's not so ideal.
>>

> My Psion 7 was instant on, as in, open the lid, press the on
> button, and start typing. At most a second for the screen to
> finish switching itself on.
>
> The latest version of OpenZaurus has a 'feature' where it
> can take 10-15 seconds to switch on and open the address
> book. This is too slow, and makes it IMO unusable.

This is a mini laptop, not a handheld so 15-30s is acceptable to have
such a powerful portable computer. Obviously, the boot up can be tweaked
to reduce the time and I'm sure it will reduce.

GPL violation stated here :-
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/141546/eee-pc-violates-opensource-software-licence.html

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk