Re: [Hampshire] Google Analytics

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Google Analytics
On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 11:46:45PM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> I have so far reserved judgments on Googles activities, most of which I regard
> as beneficial. But I have just had a visit from Google Analytics. I was on
> my granddaughter's box at the time, and a hasty shutting down of Slashdot
> disposed of it. (At least, I got my box back - it had slowed to a crawl -
> and the progress bar disappeared half way through.)

Google analytics is a service that webmasters can utilise to anlyse traffic
on their site. Once you sign up you can place a bit of javascript code on
your site that allows you to track visitors activity, browser types,
referres and so on.

> But I have shut the box down as an extra precaution. (Pity - I was listening
> to Radio 3, which I can't currently get on my box: see earlier thread.)

What do you think has happened?

> Clearly my firewall settings are at fault. Advice please. :-) Irrational, I
> know, but I feel besmirched. :-(

What led you to believe that Google Analytics was in some way doing
something nafarious?

Cheers,
Al.