Re: [Hampshire] Swap file usage

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Swap file usage
On Wed November 28 2007 18:00, Peter Salisbury wrote:
> How do I find out what's in my swap file / memory?
>
> I have a few apps running (KDE, konqueror, kontact, openoffice, gimp,
> firefox). I have 543MB free memory (out of 1GB) but there is 428MB in
> the swap file. (gkrellm reports)
>
> When I first start up (including all the above apps) I have about the
> same free memory but nothing in the swap file. It seems to get worse
> as the days go by (I suspend to disk then resume rather than shutting
> down). Is there any way of purging all that stuff or even finding out
> which process owns what? Closing down apps doesn't seem to free much
> memory so maybe it's spamd or some other service, or does the VM from
> a closed app stay around in case it's needed?

I can't answer your question directly Peter, but have you tried logging out of
KDE then waiting a couple of minutes say and then logging back in again. My
PC runs 24\7 and I find that about once a week I have to log out of kde to
resolve minor irritation in KDE, when I have done this the memory has reset
it self and everything is ok.

Tim

GET FREE SMILEYS FOR YOUR IM & EMAIL - Learn more at http://www.inbox.com/smileys
Works with AIM®, MSN® Messenger, Yahoo!® Messenger, ICQ®, Google Talk™ and most webmails