Re: [Hampshire] Swap file usage

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Swap file usage
On Wednesday 28 November 2007 18:00:55 Peter Salisbury wrote:
> How do I find out what's in my swap file / memory?
>
> I have a few apps running (KDE, konqueror, kontact, openoffice, gimp,
> firefox). I have 543MB free memory (out of 1GB) but there is 428MB in
> the swap file. (gkrellm reports)

Possibly something unused got swapped out to make room for buffers?

top should show you what is using swap - 'f' to select fields if SWAP
isn't shown, then 'P' to select SWAP. Space returns to the top display.
You can sort by SWAP usage, using 'O'.

Not sure how useful or accurate it is though, since mine is showing
results that don't immediately make sense (it's probably counting
shared memory lots of times).

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???