Re: [Hampshire] Wireless access point recomendations?

Author: Phil Clarke
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless access point recomendations?
Andy Random wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm finally succumbing to the temptation of wifi at home... but what I'm
> looking for is just a wireless access point. I already have a broadband
> router that I'm quite happy with (and have no intention of replacing) so
> I just want something to plug into it which will provide wifi.
>
> Any recommendations for a wireless device that works well but doesn't
> have a built-in DHCP/NAT router as well?

Hi Andy,

I have got two of these running - one at home and one at my parents house.

<http://www.linksys.co.uk/download/wap54g_ds.pdf>

Nice and easy to configure via web interface, can do DHCP/NAT but that
is easily turned off and I've got both configured with a static IP
address that uses the trusted interface of my Linux firewall to send all
traffic to/from.

I've also plugged it directly into an ADSL modem/router before and again
statically configured it with an IP and the default gateway being the
modem/router.

Actually the one here even sits on two networks (one that runs DHCP and
one that uses static IP throughout) and everything plays nicely together
as the AP doesn't try and do anything "clever".

Some people will go "ew linksys" and proceed to spout never ending
horror stories about how it ate their cat and/or sold their first born
into eternal slavery writing 419 emails for Dr Abdul M'Bongo, but I'm
more than happy that it does what I want it to do and is stable to boot.

Cheers,

Phil