Re: [Hampshire] help needed plz,cannot store file in in my O…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] help needed plz,cannot store file in in my OS via virtual box
gangstar badboy wrote:
> hi all,
> my name is fahmid, this is my first post so i don't know how its gona
> turn up.
> i am a linux newbie, i have been using it for 6 months now, i am using
> ubuntu at the moment and backtrack via virtual box.

Hullo Fahmid.

> ok my Q: I downloaded backtrack from remote exploit website and
> configured it and fired it up on virtual box
> . It works but the thing is that i cannot save any files or account.
> For example i created an account and loged out and loged back in the
> account and account would not be there anymore.
>
> I belive that this is somethintg to do with installing the os in
> virtual bo

Well, I am running Linux distros in VirtualBox and have yet to encounter
issues like this, so it is certainly not a general one relating to
VirtualBox.

Assumption: this is the distro in question:
http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html

Dumb question: did you follow the docs to perform a hard drive install?
I note from the blurb on the site that it is first and foremost a live
distro.

A couple of friendly pointers with regard to future posting:
(1) try and help people to help you - I had to google to find out what
backtrack was - bung in a link and line or two about what it is, what
you are using it for, how you have installed, etc. That way people can
hopefully get to the root of the problem quickly without having to do
too much work on your behalf.
(2) post in plain text as html tends to attract heat around here!

Sean