Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems
On 04/12/2007, Rob Malpass <rob@???> wrote:
> Hopefully I should be ok - but am I right in thinking these are the same
> cables / connectors as are
> used for DAB radio? If so, the connectors can be fitted to the cable by
> hand so (putting aside the
> rankle of the isp not providing all the kit - if that turns out to be the
> case) it shouldn't be a problem
> to find a bit of coax cable and a couple of connectors. It's a shame my
> nearest Maplin is so far
> away now I'm in Sussex (not like the good old days of Farnborough).

I believe the F type connector is also used on some DAB radio sets but
can't say for sure.

I was in a similar situation just last weekend. A guy on Maplins phone
line told me that they supply two types of coax F type connectors, one
push-on and one crimp-type. But when I went to the local store I was
able to pick up 2 1.5m readymade cables which I used to replace the
two woefully short leads that Mr NTL (sorry, Virgin Media) installed
when they replaced my all-in-one STB with a separate CM. They also
stocked a wee Ethernet female-female adapter which was handy so I
could extend the fixed Ethernet cable and put the CM somewhere
sensible rather than have it dangling in mid-air from its cables B-)