Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Pope" <alan@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 7:15 PM

Cheers Al

[snip]

> There may well be. My accountant is with Virgin (as am I) and he got a
> splitter. Bet you won't have enough cables though :(

Funnily enough, I might be ok here. So far as I know, I was one of the
first people ever to get a cable modem in Farnborough - had it installed in
2000 and at the time, you had to buy your own. This I duly did and I've
still got it - coax cable toboot. I was rather hoping that (for
nostalgia's sake)
I could use the old modem instead of the new. However, I read Robin
Walker's (excellent if
people haven't seen them) cablemodem pages and it turns out things have
moved on quite a bit.
For example, when I started, you had to ring ntl up with the mac address of
the modem so it could
be paired. It seems that this is no longer required (thank goodness -
these ntl folks don't really
know their posterious from their elbows) such that finding someone in
customer services who could
do a pairing (without which 4 solid lights was not possible) was a challenge
as I recall.

> You'll need a cable from the wall box to the splitter, then one to the CM
> and one to the STB. Clearly you can use your current cable for the
> splitter<->STB, and the modem will come with one that you can use for
> splitter<->CM, but you may not have the one needed from the wall box to
> the
> splitter.

Hopefully I should be ok - but am I right in thinking these are the same
cables / connectors as are
used for DAB radio? If so, the connectors can be fitted to the cable by
hand so (putting aside the
rankle of the isp not providing all the kit - if that turns out to be the
case) it shouldn't be a problem
to find a bit of coax cable and a couple of connectors. It's a shame my
nearest Maplin is so far
away now I'm in Sussex (not like the good old days of Farnborough).

[snip]

Cheers
Rob