Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems
On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 07:03:31PM -0000, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Turns out that there's one white box on the wall and only one terminal on
> it - that's obviously connected to the STB. I've just spoken to Virgin
> who assure me that it's not just a cm on its way to me - there's a splitter
> on its way as welll. Hmm.

There may well be. My accountant is with Virgin (as am I) and he got a
splitter. Bet you won't have enough cables though :(

You'll need a cable from the wall box to the splitter, then one to the CM
and one to the STB. Clearly you can use your current cable for the
splitter<->STB, and the modem will come with one that you can use for
splitter<->CM, but you may not have the one needed from the wall box to the
splitter.

> Question is - if (as I strongly suspect) the cm arrives and the splitter
> doesn't - can I buy one from somewhere? I've googled "coax splitter" but
> I'm getting gadgets that split one TV signal into two.

Googling for NTL cable splitter turns up this "F-Type" connector from
Maplin:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29531&doy=4m12&C=SO&U=strat15

Which is indeed the kind of thing you need. If you search maplin for f-type
you'll see all the kinds of kit you'd ever need :)

Cheers,
Al.